- Empire Aviation Flight School - http://www.empire-aviation.com -

TSA Flight Training Documents for US and Foreign Citizens

The TSA / Department of Homeland Security requires all flight students show evidence of US citizenship, or have approval under the Alien Flight Student Program, prior to receiving any flight training.

This applies to both student pilots working towards an initial FAA pilot certificate, as well as licensed pilots seeking additional training for instrument or multi-engine ratings.

See this document which summarizes the requirements on AOPA. Foreign students should visit the Alien Flight Student Program (AFSP) Transportation Security Administration web site for more information.

US Citizens: You must provide proof of citizenship with one of the following (we will copy or note into your logbook):

• Valid, unexpired U.S. passport
• Original or government-issued birth certificate of the U.S., American Samoa, or Swains Island AND a government-issued picture ID
• Original certificate of birth abroad with raised seal (Form FS-545 or DS-1350) AND a government-issued picture ID
• Original certificate of U.S. citizenship with raised seal (Form N-560 or N-561) or a Certificate of Repatriation (Form N-581) AND government-issued pictured ID
• Original U.S. Naturalization Certificate with raised seal (Form N-550 or N-570) AND a government-issued picture ID

Foreign Citizens: Certain documents from the TSA Alien Flight Training / Citizenship Validation Application must be kept on file in our offices. Please contact us to review these items.

I appreciate everyone’s cooperation. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Paul Hesse