The first International Learn To Fly Day, an event designed to increase interest in flying and encourage others to get involved in aviation, took place on May 15th, 2010. We’ve tallied the numbers and are thrilled to report the day was a huge success!
In addition to drawing a few hundred people to the Henderson-Oxford Airport (many for the first time), we gave over 87 rides. The lines and smiles went on for hours, and for many kids and parents, Empire Aviation provided their first flight in a general aviation aircraft.
We have lots of folks to thank for their participation and for helping make the day so successful. They include:
- Members of the Tuskegee Airmen Heart of Carolina Chapter
- Retired DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) John McLain for the Learn To Fly Seminars
- Peter Flood from EAA Chapter 1114 for giving rides in his Piper Cherokee Warrior II N9626C
- Cliff Jablonski for giving rides in his RV-7 N526CN
- CFII Anthony Maynor, CFII Chris O’Connor and private pilot Matthew McKee for a long day of piloting Empire Aviation’s C152, C172 and Piper Cherokee aircraft
- Burlington/Alamance Radio Kontrol Society (BARKS) and their model RC planes
- Cheryl and Larry Elman of Crafts On Wheels
- Oxford Girl Scouts Troop 1291 (North Carolina Coastal Pines Chapter) for food and drinks
- Mike Kellogg from Air Cobra who fueled the aircraft on one very hot tarmac
- J.F. Webb High School JROTC Cadets for the morning flag raising ceremony
- Gary Harris and the H2 Gold Wing Road Riders Association (GWRRA)
- Carolina Chapter of the Ford Falcon Club of America
- Estelle Clark for creating the brochure and flyer
- Our ground support including Vic and Kevin Barbee, Chris Barger, Jesus Cervantes, John Doherty and Rick Gutlon
We have more photos in this gallery.